Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tired and Sick and Sick and Tired

It started two Saturdays ago. Chills, fever, cough, sore throat, aches and sleepiness. The flu is awful and is worsened when a parent and a child have it at the same time. Joel came down with the flu about the same time I did. It hit him differently than it did me, and he ended up missing an entire week of school because of it. Now I am on day 11 and still feeling symptoms. After having no voice for 4 days, now I feel like body aches are back. I am definitely in need of a rest. Spring was supposed to mean getting rid of the sicknesses from winter. Instead, we get another round of illness. Chills make the 50 degree days still feel like 30 something.

I know we've all been there, and my circumstance is no different than millions of other moms. But it is hard to be a good listener and comforter when you feel too sick and tired to do anything. With Scott gone this week, I find it easy to slip into a sulking attitude of complaints. So I have to force myself to seek God's response in these times.

This is what I came across! I needed this dose of spiritual medicine.
I sound like Job's negative wife . . whine, whine, whine!
Job's reply during his tragic circumstances (which should certainly put my menial circumstances into perspective), "Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?" Job's faith, not his understanding, carried him through all his troubles.**

Hope your faith in a God who sustains is carrying you today!

Lord, how happy it is when strong afflictions from Thee raise in us strong affections for Thee!
~~Francis Burkitt

**From the Power of a Positive Mom Devotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment