Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Respect for Authority

Well, it finally happened. I always wondered when I would get pulled over by a police officer. I assumed it would happen to me (as it has to so many) at some point in my lifetime. I've been driving for 15 years now and today I was pulled over for speeding for the first time. I was driving the boys to school (what a lesson for them), and we were a mile from home and a mile from school. I saw several cars that I recognized from the boys school driving slowly passed mine while glancing my direction. SHAME! I knew I was guilty. I needed to be stopped because I was not paying much attention to my speed. I had turned up the radio, and me and the boys were having a fun time listening to K-LOVE for some before-school inspiration. During one of my periodic glances in the rear-view mirror, I spotted a police car pulling out of a side street rather quickly. I instantly knew he was after me. I did not know how fast I was going, just that I was not paying attention and was most likely lead-footing it.
The boys had LOTS of questions and concerns. What happened? What is going to happen? What does that police man want? Why is he walking up to the car? What happened? Oh NO. Are we in trouble? Do you have to pay the police man money? Are you going to jail? They were a little scared actually. It was a good lesson for them. After the officer asked for my licence and proof of insurance, he of course went back to his vehicle to fill out the paper work. I assured the boys that the officer was doing his job in pulling Mommy over because Mommy was breaking the speed limit. Mommy will probably get a ticket because I disobeyed the law. No, I won't have to go to jail, but I will probably have to pay money as my punishment. The consequences of sin are what I deserve.
Oh No, Mom. OH NO! They kept repeating. My youngest understood this concept and said, "You shouldn't have been speeding, Mom." My oldest son was mostly upset that the officer was going to give me a ticket. He has a hard time accepting responsibility in his own life and I am glad he was able to see this happen actually.
When the officer returned, he explained that I was indeed speeding. He was extremely gracious and decided to give me a WARNING. I apologized and thanked the officer for doing his job. I drove the rest of the way onto school staying far from the speed limit. I told my kids what had happened and that I was shown mercy by this man because he did not give me what I really deserved, a ticket. It was a good opportunity for some important life lessons for ALL of us! Phew! I am most thankful today!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! Your lucky you havent got caught before. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for mercy.....and for those who show it to others....

    ReplyDelete