Saturday, February 14, 2009

What's in your outlook?

Today was very anticipated. I had built up the day and looked forward to some quality time with my husband. We had spent some special time with our kids last night and planned a date with each other for today.
It was not all roses and sweetness though. The day began with bad news and it was hard to feel joy about the anticipated events of the day. I knew I could better my day with a change in my outlook. If I chose to focus on the unexpected (and unwanted) negative circumstances, my day would remain dissapointing, giving no matter to the planned events. It was a challenge to face the unwanted circumstances, but necessary. And it was absolutely necessary to face them with the right attitude. This proved even more challenging. It was not a joyous time getting through the rough part of the day.

Now, with hindsight, the day was great. I might be tempted to believe that the day was ruined by the unwanted circumstances and bad news. It might be easy to focus on the negative news and feel that all good was erased by the bad. A second look at the day changes my mind.

Was breakfast ruined? No. The cinnamon rolls I made were great, everyone was glad to have a special treat. The kids had a fun play date planned...and that went great. I got to have dinner out with my husband. We ended the day with some good conversation and laughs. All in all, the bad news didn't get the best of us.

While the bad news was something we feared, something we did not want to happen/hear, and something that brought us grief--it did not ruin our day, or lives, or family, or future.

It's all in the outlook.
Hope you had a great Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

  1. No fair. Good cliff hanger. What is the grief about?

    ReplyDelete