Friday, February 20, 2009

Old Fashioned Ways

This morning while making breakfast for my two boys and myself, my 7-year old pleaded for my attention. I knew this was something serious or seriously important to him. I stopped buttering the toast and looked up at him to see what he was so dramatic about.

First let me describe the setting. Joel, the 7-year old, is in our 3-season room just off of the kitchen. He is sitting on the floor in front of the television. This, by the way, is a normal morning occurrence on school days. The weather today is quite cold here in Iowa. The three-season room is very cold in the winter so we have a space heater for just these occasions.

Joel normally sits or stands quite close to the heater to warm himself while playing video games. When he called for my attention, and I finally looked up from my breakfast preparing, he was smiling so big . . . the kind of smile a kid makes when he is doing something he believes to be truely clever! Joel wanted me to watch him as he stepped away from the heater and rubbed his little hands together as quick as he could. He exclaimed, "Look, Mom! Am I warming my hands the old fashioned way?

I smiled as I watched for a minute. You could see the pride on his face that he felt for accomplishing this genius task! It reminded me how much boys love to do things on their own and realize new abilities. I love having kids! And I love my boys! What new things will we discover next time? What new adventures are waiting for them in their lifetimes?

My prayer for them is that they allow God to mold them into great men who will do GREAT BIG things for God! And my prayer for myself is that I will gain the wisdom from God to know the difference between lessons they need to learn from God and tragedies I need to intervene in.

1 comment:

  1. For those of us addicted to reading blogs, especially those whom we are connected with, you musn't keep us waiting so long between posts. :-)
    I am enjoying them so much! :-)
    Sara W.

    ReplyDelete